I had a hankering for greens last night, but I wanted it in more of a comfort food style. After opening the fridge to see what was in there that could satisfy this, I saw my kale (too time consuming to make kale chips), my spinach (hmmmm, creamed spinach?), my kefir and some cheeses. ”Now, this, I can work with this!”, I thought. Here is what I gathered:
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used gouda, but havarti would be nice as well)
- 1 cup kefir or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup each blanched, cooled and chopped spinach and kale
I combined everything EXCEPT the cooked greens until they were well incorporated and then I added the greens in, making sure that they were evenly dispersed throughout the spread. I scooped the mixture into individual ramekins (so I can freeze small portions and reheat as needed), but you could use one larger oven-proof container. Pop into a 350 oven for about 15 minutes. Serve with your choice of “dipper”. I love carrot and celery sticks with mine, my boys like pita chips and crusty bread with theirs.
It was perfect, and totally cured my jonesing for greens!!!